A Time and a Place

Time is an interesting factor. Whether we want it to or not, time keeps ticking by, uninterrupted, unaffected, without consideration of any situation we may or may not be going through. Like time, seasons come and go. Now I'm not talking about seasons of the year but rather seasons in our lives. We are all in a season, some are good and others are not so good. The question is, where are you in your season? Flying high or sinking low? (Not the best terminology but I think you know what I mean). 

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens" - Ecclesiastes 3:1

Looking at my life I can see many seasons that I have been through. Situations that have caused me to be filled with fear; seasons of doubt; seasons where I've walked on 'cloud nine'; seasons where I've felt lower than low. I can safely say that most of my 'seasons', if not all , have challenged, stretched and, above all else, tested my faith to limits I never knew I had......and the thing is, I will always be in a season of some sort until I breathe my last breath on this earth.

So what am I getting at....? 

I came to realise that the way we look upon a season to the way we react within a season will have an underlining affect on how it will pan out. How can one be upbeat in adversity? How can one go through these seasons without knowing what could be at the end? It boils down to perseverance, faith and trust; perseverance to just keep on going, faith that you will reach the unseen end, and trust in your own capabilities.  

I have heard many people ask the question, why? 'Why me?' 'Why does this have to happen to me?' Even when they're not saying it, they're saying it: "this is the worst time for this"! We try so hard to make sense of everything, but, more often than not, the only thing we can do is to stop asking questions and continue to walk, heading towards the end of the season and finding out with each step what needs to change and develop in us. 

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4

I find this hard to comprehend; "Pure joy" in trials of many kinds. How can hardship be pure joy? How can I be 'happy' in pain? When life gets me down, how can I put my thumbs up saying 'everything is ok'? I've discovered that it has a lot to do with perspective. 

Let me ask you a question: If you knew the end of the story before it had begun, would you want to start from the beginning and walk until the end?.... I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't. It's like watching a film after someone has revealed the biggest spoiler. But what about those moments of reaching the end of a difficult season? Relief, freedom, 'light at the end of the tunnel'. We reach that place (I'm sure) where we are thinking, ' I never want to go through something like that again'? Maybe I'm wrong, but just go with me on this. 

I've said this on a previous blog (but it's good to recycle) that we (yes, you and I) have the subconscious ability to see the negative and above all, remember the negative and completely ignore the positive. There is a time and a place, a season for every activity, but in ALL THINGS there are positives. 

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. - 1 Peter 5:10

Suffering is not easy; who said it would be? What I do know is that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. We just have to decided whether or not we will see that distant light and begin to walk, with perseverance, faith, and trust. 

Wherever you are, whether good or bad, be encouraged. Life is a journey, a battle, full of ups and downs, positives and negatives. How are you reacting in your season? There's a time and place for all things....we need to embrace each season, enjoy the ride and remember to see the positives, because out this comes understanding, growth, reassurance and peace. 



Comments

Popular Posts