Light Through The Darkness



Life can seem very bleak at times. Daily motions seem tireless and endless. You hear people saying, "there's always light at the end of the tunnel", "there's always a silver lining", but when we don't witness these ourselves, those statements lose all meaning. How long have you been going through the motions? How long have you been wishing that the day would end? How many of you are lost in darkness?

There's a film I watched recently called 'Unconditional'! If you haven't watched it I recommend that you should. I find it incredible how even simple things like a film, a song, or just a hug can speak so much to my heart and help draw my eyes through the clouds to the light that's shining through. Within this film there was one key point through it all that spoke to me. It was a story. In brief, the story describe a bird that the mother is encouraging to fly. When the thunders roll in, she encouraged her young to spread it's wings and fly through the clouds. Even though the thunders are scary and the clouds so dark and uninviting, if not scary, keep flying. The story continues to go on to the point where the little bird breaks through the clouds and sees it; the sun! For me this was a huge encouragement and so I want to encourage you.

Have you been lost? Are you sitting there thinking is there more to life than what I am currently going through? Are you thinking it cannot get any worse than this, but then it does? My friend, spread your wings and fly. Life so far as I've discovered is one big thunderstorm but guess what? Even though it seems as though the darkness never ceases, the light is always shining.

Think about this: You are at the airport and the rain is pouring, the lightning is flashing and the thunders are roaring. As your flight takes off the plane shudders as it is battered by the elements. As you lean in your seat gripping to the arm rests your heart starts to beat faster, doubt enters your mind, fear begins to grip you.....will this ever end? The wait is agonising, almost too much to bear but then you hold onto one thing.....hope! Suddenly the plane stops shaking, there's a peace in the air and where the rain had been thrashing against the window, now the light pours through. You're above the clouds. The sun brings warmth and security. Beauty as far as the eye can see. Serenity.

"but those who hope in the Lord, will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary,  they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

It can be very easy to think that we are alone in our battles. It can be easy to say to ourselves, "ok, it's just me, I have to do this on my own!" You don't! You're not alone. Far from it.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,’ even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. - Psalm 139:7-12 (NIVUK)

God has been by my side through a lot of tough times. I look back now and I was like that bird in the nest. I saw the storms close in and I stayed where I was in fear. But then God encouraged me to step out of the nest. I made that leap, that leap of faith you could call it, and started to fly though the thunders and the rains. The fact of the matter is, if I had not decided to fly, I would still be where I was 6 years ago. The same man, the same problems, the same mistakes, the same outcomes, the same me. I would've been 'stuck in a rut' with no knowing how to get out. The truth is that I did decide to fly. The storms have been tough, the thunder terrifying, but each time I've broken through the cloud and seen the light and been filled with peace.

So here's the encouragement: Don't give up. If the situation you're in is looking bleak, keep on flying, put your trust in Him, and fly through the storms. Because even though the world can seem so dark.....the light is always shining. You just need to spread your wings and fly!

"In life's darkest times is where the light shines at it's brightest" - (Unconditional film) 

Comments

Popular Posts