Fear

Here's a fact, we all fall into the grasps of fear throughout our lives. Whether it's fear of falling/ flying/ death/ spiders/ falling-ill/ etc Fear integrates itself into our daily lives. Sometimes it can effect us in such a way that we remain in a constant state of anxiety in everything we face. But when we are in the midst of fear, how can we overcome it?

I want to share a story that I discovered whilst reading my bible and researching more into this topic:
Dr Martin Luther King Jr, a minister, was the top spokesperson for the civil rights movement that began in the USA in the 1950s. He risked his life and career around the country in non-violent protest and preaching equality. He was arrested many times and received numerous threats on his life before he was assassinated in 1968.
One Monday evening after a particularly tension-packed week, King spoke at a mass meeting. 'I attempted to convey an overt impression of strength and courage," he said, "although I was inwardly depressed and fear-stricken."
After his talk, Mother Pollard - an elderly woman who had been instrumental in early civil rights victories - came to the front of the church and called, "come here, son." King embraced her warmly as usual, but she wasn't going to let him move on just yet.
"Something is wrong with you. You didn't talk strong tonight."
"Oh, no, Mother Pollard, nothing is wrong," King assured her. "I'm feeling as fine as ever."
"Now you can't fool me," she said. "I knows something is wrong. Is it that we ain't doing things to please you? Or is it the white folks? I done told you we is with you all the way. But even if we ain't with you, God's gonna take care of you."
"Since that dreary night, I have known very few quiet days," King later said. "But as the years have unfolded, the eloquently simple words of Mother Pollard have come back again and again to give light and peace and guidance to my troubled soul."
My biggest fear when I was growing up was the fear of death. It was one of those things that gave me great discomfort so much so that I couldn't sleep for a long period of time. I would feel scared and have really unnerving and discomforting 'butterflies in my stomach'. However,  I managed to open up to some close friends who comforted and encouraged me. I also turned to some scriptures within the bible that completely set my heart at ease.
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control. - (2 Timothy 1:7)(AMP)
Fear is a stronghold that is hard to understand, hard to control but more so hard to overcome. What I've realised is that it's important to share with those that are close to you your fears and anxieties. If they're like my friends, they will support and encourage you through your situation. Do not be a slave to fear but instead be strong and courageous and overcome it.
 1 The Lord is my light and the one who saves me. So why should I fear anyone? The Lord protects my life. So why should I be afraid? 2 Evil people may try to destroy my body. My enemies and those who hate me attack me, but they are overwhelmed and defeated.3 If an army surrounds me, I will not be afraid. If war breaks out, I will trust the Lord4 I ask only one thing from the Lord. This is what I want: Let me live in the Lord's house all my life. Let me see the Lord's beauty and look with my own eyes at his Temple. 5 During danger he will keep me safe in his shelter. He will hide me in his Holy Tent, or he will keep me safe on a high mountain.6 My head is higher than my enemies around me. I will offer joyful sacrifices in his Holy Tent. I will sing and praise the Lord7 Lord, hear me when I call; have mercy and answer me. 8 My heart said of you, "Go, worship him." So I come to worship you, Lord.9 Do not turn away from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger; you have helped me. Do not push me away or leave me alone, God, my Savior.10 If my father and mother leave me, the Lord will take me in.11 Lord, teach me your ways, and guide me to do what is right because I have enemies.12 Do not hand me over to my enemies, because they tell lies about me and say they will hurt me.13 I truly believe I will live to see the Lord's goodness. 14 Wait for the Lord's help. Be strong and brave, and wait for the Lord's help. - (Psalm 27)(NCV) 
Fear is something that should not be taken lightly, but if handled in the correct way, if we do not let it consume our every being and trust in God in all our situations, fear will have no hold over us.


Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.
Bertrand Russell

Comments

Popular Posts