Point of Difference

So here's a question to ponder: Is there a certain moment or memory that you have where someone, a group  of individuals or something in particular has done a certain act to change or impact your life for the better? I can think of many that have had happened to me:

> When I needed to pay out for damage that was done to my car, an envelope was left for me from an anonymous person with the majority of the money to pay for it.

> When I cut my leg open whilst at school, my best friend ran and not only comforted me but covered my deep cut with his hands until help arrived.

> When I first came to my churches youth group, there were only a few individuals that came up to me, wanted to know me and chat with me......these individuals are my closest friends now.

> The moment I was standing hurt, with weight on my shoulders, this presence filled my heart with compassion, lifted the weight from my soldiers, broke down my defensive wall in my heart and released me into a better life where there was hope, significance, passion and love. A life filled with his presence and direction.
No one lights a lamp, then hides it in a drawer. It's put on a lamp stand so those entering the room have light to see where they're going. Your eye is a lamp, lighting up your whole body. If you live wide-eyed in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar. Keep your eyes open, your lamp burning, so you don't get musty and murky. Keep your life as well-lighted as your best-lighted room - (Luke 11:33-36) (The Message) 
That line, 'if you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a damp cellar', really speaks strongly.  Sometimes we can be too engulfed in what we do each day that we forget to appreciate all that has happened in our lives up until now that have impacted us and spoken deeply to us. More so, if we are so narrowly focused, the bigger picture is lost on us; we cannot see beyond the walls of the alleyway we are walking down.

I have had a lot moments where I have literally woken up, gone through my daily routine, gone to bed, then woken up and started all over again without actually realising all the great things that are occurring to me. Sometimes it's good to appreciate the fact that you have roof over your head, food to eat, water to drink, decent finances, a family that loves and cares for you, friends that are supportive and always there for you, the list goes on. My main focus is, as it states in the title, the 'Point of Difference'. There is one specific moment that we have or yet to experience. This moment has/will change or life for the better.

My moment came when my best friend introduced me to church (through the youth group) and I experience, for myself, the love and compassion of God. That one point in my life has catapulted me from what was a standard, no-hope for myself life, into a life full of prospects, desire, purpose. It's through my 'Point of Difference' that I want to help be a 'Point of Difference' in someone else's life'
 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. - (Matthew 5:13-16) (NIVUK) 
This is a big challenge for any one. I struggle to be a light for others. I have had the great privilege to serve in other countries and the work done as part of a team has made such a difference to those we were aiming to help that it was so fulfilling and uplifting. It's not a simple matter of will you be a difference in someone's life, it's more of when will you be a difference? When are you going to let your light break out from the wall that surrounds it and make a difference to someone else's life?


Comments

Popular Posts