Breaking the Mold

It's quite easy to fall into habits. Some habits are good and can be a real uplifting moment or encouraging part of our everyday. What I intend to focus on are the habits that cause a strain, distraction, worsening of behaviour etc. These habits, though comforting in their own way and part of our everyday, are barriers to our true potential.
 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. - (1John 2:15-17) (NIV)
1) The first point and probably the most challenging is recognising and admitting to bad habits. If we do not realise that we are lost in bad habits how can we be the best that we can be? More so if we do not admit that these habits that we are carrying out are in fact bad, we are not only lying to ourselves but ignoring a plague that had wrapped itself around us. The hardest thing anyone can do is admit to themselves that they have a bad habit. However once a bad habit is recognised, then it can be attacked and the chains broken.
Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. - (James 1:12) 
2) Breaking bad habits is a tough thing to do. But as we go forward to break these chains that are holding us back we must remember that with God all things are possible! Here's my example:
Throughout my time in secondary school I was prone to swearing. Because everyone around me was using bad language I went through my time at school thinking that it was acceptable to use such foul words. It was only as I started attending church and through general talks with close friends that I realised that there was no need to swear. My only problem was that because I had gone through a long period of time where I had used these foul words, it was now an integrated part of my vocabulary.
Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin. - (Psalm 17:3) (NIVUK) 
I decided to put procedures in place that would break this bad habit. For example, instead of saying 'f**k', I would say 'fudge'. 'S**t' = 'sugar' etc. Through retraining my brain I managed to break the habit of swearing to the point where now it is not a part of my vocabulary. Now when someone says, 'I have never heard you say a bad word or swear before!' I just turn around and smile.

3) The best thing I've found is incorporating good habits that in time take over that which is bad. I spend a lot of time on my playstation as I feel it's a great escape from the pressures of everyday. However if I'm not too careful, time just disappears and I feel like I've wasted time which could be put to better use. I am now in the process of breaking this habit. I've done a couple of things to help retrain my brain in this area such as putting a time limit on how long I play on the the games console, to just deciding that in fact I'm going to sit in my room and listen to worship music, pray or perhaps write music. Even taking the time to write blogs such as this is helping me focus more on God instead of taking the easy way out and being selfish to myself.
For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No-one was strong enough to subdue him. - (Mark 5:4) 
The real question is how do you function in relationship to God? Is it a dysfunction? Whereby you are conformed by the world that we live in today or are you in tune, taking the time to follow, learn, listen, grow, jump into everything that God has for you. We all have bad habits that are weighing us down, but the key thing to remember is that they can be broken.
because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. - (Romans 8:2) (NIV) 

Comments

Popular Posts