The 'Fruit of the Spirit' - Gentleness

What does it mean to have Gentleness? Whet are the first things that come to mind when you think about it? Just like faithfulness, it holds many meanings and points all of which mould gentleness as a whole and all of which we should strive to do and be more like in our everyday walk.
to slander no-one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility towards all men. - (Titus 3:2)(NIVUK) 
In one aspect, having gentleness should be apparent in what we say and how we react to situations. When someone has been hurtful to us or if we do not agree we what someone has said, we do not speak badly of them behind their back. We 'take it on the chin' and are modest in our response and respectful of that person and their feelings.
A gentle answer turns awaywrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - (Proverbs 15:1) 
If we are not 'gentle' in word and actions then a more negative impact could arise. From personal experience I have situations where I have been loud and spoken in anger back at various people and the response intensified and the situation blew out of control. Opposite to this I have had times where I have not agreed with what someone has said but instead of rising and causing a fuss, I 'bit my tounge', rose above it and didn't react to it.
“I choose gentleness… Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself. ”— Max Lucado
I love that phrase, 'nothing is won by force.' When we are forceful in our approach to everything we face, to people we interact with in our everyday, we receive a more negative reponse and more often than not, a disappointing result. However when we are gentle, the repsonse is more approving. I've learnt that it's better to be submitive and acceptive of others than aggressive and disapproving. If we can learn to endure our situations without kicking up a fuss then we have the potential to grow in understanding and grow in faith in all that we endure.

The greater meaning behind Gentleness is the assurance that God is in control. When we come to realise that in everything God is control, that he is there with us through our situations, then a greater feeling of peace engulfs us but more so we can approach each day with a sense of hope.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - (John 14:27) 
So here's a question: How are you going to act in the days ahead? Are you going to be humble and gentle in your approach or are you going to be aggressive and forceful.




Comments

Popular Posts