The 'Fruit of the Spirit' - Faithfulness

Faithfulness can be a hard concept to grasp and one that can be misunderstood. The real question we should be asking ourselves is what does it mean to be faithful? How can I be faithful in everything I do? In our everyday we should look to be many things all of which plays a part in being faithful.
Loyal:  Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. - (Titus 3:1) (NLT) 
Loyalty is a great quality to have and is a key part of being faithful. Think about those times when you have been in a tough situation or going through an upsetting time, but the person that got you through that time was a friend, group of friends or someone else that was always loyal to you, always there for you to offer support and give you a helping hand? Now how about switching that around --> how often have you been there for someone that needs a friend, that needs comfort, that needs someone dependable to count on?
 Honest: But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. - (Collosians 3:8-9) 
In everything we do we must look to be honest and truthful. Anger, hatred, lies, deceit causes divisions, hurt and pain. When we look to be more faithful by being honest and truthful then it makes us better in ourselves. I've been through times when I have been constantly frustrated and angry and the worst thing about it was that it was like a cloud over my eyes. I was so wrapped up in anger that I couldn't see what effect my actions were having on others. I couldn't see where I was going because I was so wrapped up in frustration. If we shed all the anger we hold onto, then the cloud will be lifted. Honesty in my mind = clarity!
Trustworthy: Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own? - (Luke 16:10-12) (NIV) 
Trust is a big thing. Take a relationship. Though love is important, trust is equally as important in the bonds that hold the relationship together. If there is doubt one way or another then the relationship begins to fall apart as the other person is always curious, always doubtful of the others thoughts, feelings and actions.
Like the verse states, 'whoever can be trusted with very little can be trusted with much'. It's simple really but a lot of the time we can fall short of this.
Steadfast: Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love. - (1 Corinthians 16:13-14) (NIV-UK) 
If we stand firm in who we are, if we continue to be encouraging to others, if we are loyal, honest, truthful and trustworthy, then we are being faithful in our everyday. But as well as being faithful to others, we must remember to be faithful to God because he is faithful to us (Deuteronomy 7:9). He never  abandons us, he is always there to turn to and is our comforter and friend.

Faithfulness covers a lot of areas. I may not have hit them all but I know I've mentioned some key points. Again I am in that situation where I can look at some of these points and know I could do better than what I am. Are you a shining example of faithfulness? I know I'm not, but through the encouragement of my friends, support of loved ones and on the top of that a relationship with a truly awe-sinspiring God, i'm getting better.

Comments

Popular Posts