Why the glum face?

I've noticed a lot recently just how much people seem to frown. Just walking to work today, I don't think I saw a single smile. So here's a question, Why the glum face? Here's a couple of interesting facts; 
> It takes 17 muscles to smile --- 43 to frown.  
> Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
Looking back over my past week I can say that I have had a couple of days where I have smiled a lot and laughed a lot. But what is noticeable is that there are a large number of days where I seem to be 'so serious'! If you look back over your past week, try and count out all the times where you've had a laugh, been happy and smiley and compare that to how many times you have been stressed, angry, fed-up, tired, and my new word, 'frowney'! If you're like me then your frowns will heavily out-weight the smiles.
A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. - (Proverbs 15:13) 
How many often do look back over your day and only remember the bad things that have happened? I know I've done it! Just walking in from work and someone asks how my day was, more often than not my answer is 'meh!' or 'annoying' or even 'I'm fed up there'! The worst thing is that we let bad thoughts or daily bad events fester in our minds. Why is it we hold onto that which gets us down and ignore that which makes us feel great?
A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health. - (Proverbs 15:30) 
How often have you walked down the street and as you've passed someone, you've given them a smile, or just said 'Good morning' or something nice? I remember this one time when I had been walking home from work, this lovely elderly lady looked up at me as I walked passed and all I said was 'Good afternoon!' It was enough to bring a smile to her face. Quite often we are so focused on all that is wrong in our lives and what is bad etc, that we forget everything that is good.
This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. - (Psalm 118:24) 
I have seen on the news lately a lot about death, murder and sadness. It's simple to say that we take our lives for granted. We do not know what is going to happen one day to the next. We are blessed with life so 'Why The Glum Face?'...
                                            Here's a challenge, and one I'll be attempting too. Each day this week as you are walking to work, going to meet friends, or just going for a stroll, why don't you wish someone a good day, or say hello, or as I did just a simple 'Good morning/ afternoon' followed with a smile. It's enough to brighten any one's day up and I can assure you, you'll feel good about it too. A smile goes along way in not only lifting your spirits, but those around you.


Comments

Popular Posts