Examples & Encouragements

How often have you been told to 'be a good example'? I know I have been told this many times. But having thought about it, I've noticed how much the small things, like the way we act, what we say, our general mannerisms rub off on those that perhaps look at us for guidance, for comfort, for support etc.

Take a gang. There is always a leader of a gang that has a group of followers. Quite often the followers mimic that of which the leader is doing. They automatically presume that as their leader, for example, swears and is quite aggressive, then they should swear and be quite aggressive too. 

I've been given a great opportunity this summer to go on mission to a less fortunate country. I will be doing practical work but also I aim to be supportive to those that are Christians but are finding it hard to practice their faith. I've come to realise how important it will be that I am a true reflection of a person following God and having a relationship with him. My whole mannerisms and speech should speak that of love, kindness and hope.
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. - (1 Timothy 4:12) 
This verse speaks it all. I look back and remember times where I have been influenced in a positive way by my close friends. I remember how their words were filled with love and compassion. How they were generous and kind to me. How when I was in a dark, lonely place, they were supportive and helped me through my tough situations. I think that the love and compassion they showed me has rubbed off on how I am now. I often compare myself now to who I was when I was younger. I like who I am now but I still know I have a lot of learning and growth to do.

That's the great thing about having such amazing and supportive friends. I can always lean on them for encouragement. I know that through everything, they will always be supportive of me. I am very fortunate to have such loving friends.
So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing. - (1 Thessalonians 5:11) 
In everything, aim to be a good example but also be someone that others can go to for encouragement. A simple 'pick-me'up' goes a long way.

Comments

Popular Posts