Thankfulness

How many times have you thought to yourself, 'I'm glad that's over!'? Or even the very over-dramatic, 'this is the worst day ever!'? I have had many days where I have felt like everything is against me. I could have such a bad day at work and be thinking, 'why do I bother?' But this is the thing. It may seem like everything is against us because we spend a lot of time focusing on the negative things. The things that have upset us, the thing that hurts us, the thing that made us feel anger inside. We notice more the things that upset us or get us down that we naturally brush over the small things that make us feel good.

Let's put this in an example. So many times I have had customers at my work that get frustrated and quite often they take their frustration out on myself and other staff members. By the time the situation has been defused I can sometimes feel really deflated and just unmotivated. Because of this I fail to realise that the customer I next have served said 'thank you for your help' or 'I hope you have a good day'! I brush over their kinds words because my mind was still on the frustrated customer I had served beforehand and the horrible things they had said.
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. - (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
I have come to realise how beneficial is is to be thankful in all things. Even if I had had a bad day I could look back and say, 'I'm thankful for that customer that just wished me a good day!'

My girlfriend has mention how she tried to pick out 5 things that she was thankful for each day. It's such a good way to get our minds focused not on the bad things that happen to us but the good things that sometimes are hard to see or notice.

There are times where it's obvious what we're thankful for. I can say confidently that I am thankful for my close friends, who have always been supportive of me and a great source of encouragement. They're great fun too! I'm thankful for my best friend, how through thick or thin he will always be someone I can rely on for support. How when I'm feeling down, I could just call him and be smiling in just a couple of minutes. I am also thankful to my girlfriend, who again had been a great source of encouragement, but loves me for me, who is always supportive and willing to give even though she is going through a lot herself.
















These are just a couple of the big things I'm thankful for. But even the small things are encouraging. Just like the fact that it's sunny today! I'm very thankful for that. So here's a challenge, what are you thankful for each day?
 Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. - (Ephesians 5:20)


Comments

Popular Posts