The Power of Negativity

If asked how your day was, how many of you would only remember the bad things that happened and not the good? A lot of the time we make this mistake of focusing on that which is bad about our day than that which was good. This could be down to many reasons but the main one could be because it seems more often than not, bad things occur more often.

But here's the thing. How many of us have woken up and thought, 'I don't want to go to work!' 'Today's going to be a bad day!' 'I look horrible!' 'I can't be bothered!' etc How many of us have gone up to a friend and asked how their day was only for them to say, 'Not good!' ' Rubbish!' 'Could be better!'? I myself have been so wrapped up in my negative thoughts that I have failed to notice, failed to realise the good things that are occurring in my everyday. Negativity has so much power. Even by being around negative people you can feel drained, because when we hang around those that are negative, we can get pulled down into their defeatist attitude. 

I recently went on a Leadership Summit in Sheffield, and got so inspired. I learnt how beneficial it can be to focus on the good things over the bad. A statement was said which I feel is so true: 'You create the world that you live in with the words that you say!'

I had a bad day yesterday and looking back it was because my attitude was that of negativity. Because of this attitude my day seemed to get worse. It got to the point where I was really angry and frustrated. It actually scared me that I had a side to me that was so full of anger towards myself. Having realised this, today I set out with the attitude that it was going to be a good day.....it was! Work was rewarding, I had a great conversation with my girlfriend, dinner was lovely etc Looking back, I can't mention a thing that was bad about my day today.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. - (Philillians 4:8) (NLT)

So here's a challenge. Why not for a week, through everything, try and remain positive. Instead of waking up and thinking that it's not going to be a good day, say that it IS going to be a good day. Though it may seem that there is a lot of bad things occurring in your day, I can promise you that there  are also a lot of good things happening too. We've just got to notice them and then let those good things be our strength through tough times.

Negativity has the power to make us lose focus on that which is actually good. Don't let it hold you down........break free!



Comments

  1. I can not agree with you more. It is so important to take note of the grace in all small things. Half thr battle is choosing to be positive and happy.

    Have a great weekend.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts