The Precious Thing That Is Life

I find it quite scary watching the news and hearing that someone has been stabbed or shot. I think, these young lives were cut so drastically short. I then begin to think how lucky I am to have the benefit of living in this world and experiencing amazing things.

I had a good friend that worked in the same store that I currently do. He was there when I arrived four years ago and helped train me and build me up. A year down the line he developed a rare type of cancer. He battled this disease for 3 years having high moments and low moments. I still remember him asking about a mission trip I was going on to Latvia (which happened two summers ago). He was wanting to know what I would be doing out there. When I spoke of what I knew I would be doing his face lit up and there was that same smile that was always on his face. Even through his lows he was living and exploring things he did not understand. In the week leading up to New Years, he got some sort of chest infection that he couldn't fight due to already battling cancer. He managed to battle this infection right up to New Years Eve of December 2010 until he could fight no more. He was 24 years old.

I am constantly reminded how blessed I am to have life each day live.
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. - (James 4:14)
I was watching Kung Fu Panda the other day. Love that film. But within the film I noticed that there was a really good teaching point. One that I just love:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery but today is a gift. That is why they call it the present. 
How true is that!?! We must learn to cherish each and every day in this world. We are blessed with life and life is precious. So many times, I've woken up, done my morning routine, gone to work, come home, done some evening activities, had dinner and then gone to bed without a single care in the world.

Sometimes we can get lost in planning ahead e.g. a holiday. And then we live waiting for that moment, wishing time would hurry up because we can't wait any more. Well I say, wait. There are so may events that can occur in one day, why would you want to wish them away? Instead of waking up and just going through your usual routine just take a moment and appreciate what a privilege it is to have life in this amazing world. We only get to live here once!


Comments

  1. I feel like he is in everything we do at work. I'm always thinking of him. I am grateful form the healthy life a live. He is a constant reminder to cherish every day. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts