The Little Things Count

Everyone at some point has a dream. For some, they want to be a professional footballer. For others, they want to be a pop icon. I think it is safe to say that everybody has a vivid or perhaps clear picture of where they want to be and what they want to be doing in life. But sometimes we can get lost in our dreams and because of this we become more and more disappointed with where we are at the moment. 

I have had moments where I have got lost in my thoughts. I have dreamt of winning a tennis grand slam. I have dreamt of becoming the best footballer. I have dreamt of being a world famous musician. We all have little dreams, desires, wants. In all fairness it is good to fantasise but we need to be careful not to lose ourselves completely that we get lost in our dream state and disappointed in our real state. 

Everybody at some point wants to be a someone. Someone of relevance, someone of importance, someone that is recognised. Well I'll say this: you ARE a someone. It's ok to aim big but what I've come to realise more is that it's the little things that count. I have had such a long period where I've been disappointed with work, thinking that I should be somewhere else, somewhere better. Truth is, i'm probably right. The job I'm in is not a life-long career option. But that doesn't mean that I can't make the most of what I have. My attitude towards work has changed. Instead of just going in, doing my thing and then going home, I now go in with desire to be the very best that I can. 
Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. - (Proverbs 12:24) (NLT) 
Each little thing we do is a stepping stone to something bigger. Because they're small steps, they're hard to notice, but change is happening. So if we stride to be the best that we can be in all that we do, personal growth is a certainty.

Have you thought of how far the ripple effects of your decisions can go? I've come to realise just how big a difference a simple thing like saying 'Thank You' or 'God Bless You', or even just 'Have a nice day', can have on people. Our actions have ripple effects, and depending on our actions depends on whether the ripple effects have a positive effect, or negative effect.

So the next time you feel down with where you are, take a second and think, 'I am a someone', and be a positive ripple in someone's life. It's the little things that count.

And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. - (Hebrews 13:16) (NLT)
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - (Jeremiah 29:11) (NIV) 
 

Comments

Popular Posts