Hope

Ooooooh so here's a tough subject. Hope. Well for one, hope is very broad! I find it hard to be hopeful when things are not going well. But also, I have had times where I hope for things or outcomes, but then put myself down saying that it will never happen. I then compare myself to others and think, 'why can't I be where they are?' But the great thing about hope is that it just keeps us going; it helps us through all those tough times, right through to the other side of the tunnel. 

Sometimes we have moments where we lose hope completely. When that happens we find ourselves lost, unable to cope, down-hearted and broken. I have had these moments and I know many people that have also experienced the same thing. Through it all I came to realise that the hope I needed to get through each day comes from God. 

The Parable of the Lost Son
 11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.   13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
   17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’20 So he got up and went to his father.
   “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
   21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
   22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. - (Luke 15:11-24) 

The son came to his senses and wondered why he was doing what he was doing. Sometimes what seems right to us it actually not right at all. This story is basically describing a moment in our life. We have moments where we feel we know best, we can do all that we desire, that we will be fine......but then blow it. We often come crumbling down. I've done it.

The father in the story is God. Often we turn away, often we think we know best. But there comes a point where we are struggling and we realise that our hope lies with God. In the story the father had so much compassion for his son that he RAN to him and embraced him and celebrated that he had returned.

I often go through each day and just do my thing and that is that. But then there are the days when I sit back for a sec and think, there is a lot more going on than I can see. God is always working in our lives, building us up, making us strong, bringing love, compassion, mercy, strength, endurance etc He is chipping all that makes us weak and is shining through all that makes us who we are meant to be.

In all hardships, trials, hurdles, mountains, pain, sadness........hold on to that hope deep within that is telling you things will get better, that there's light at the end of the tunnel. It's one thing that keeps us from becoming lost within our pain and troubles and helps us to keep focused on the good things that are to come.

Comments

Popular Posts