Patience

Ask yourself this, how many times have you gone and made toast and then made a comment on how long it takes? How many times have you been queuing in a traffic jam and continuously complained on how long it was taking to get a move on? How many times have you thought or said, 'I can't wait'? or even 'I'm fed up with this'? I don't realise this myself at times, but I know that I have said or thought these things a lot in the past.

Now to put this in a Christian context.....how many of us have felt a calling from God but then suddenly something happens and we start to doubt, start to question, start to argue why? We firstly question the calling but then also start to question God. We question 'how can this be happening and getting in the way when you have called me to this? 
Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.(foolishness) - (Proverbs 14:29)
I have struggled at times where I have felt so strongly that I should be doing something but then suddenly or gradually it doesn't go as I expected. It starts of great but then it begins to slow down and then other things get in the way, until before long I am no longer concentrating on the thing I felt called to do. I then begin to question myself, whether I had done the right things, missed something out. Eventually I just end up complaining to God. 'Why have you allowed this to get in the way? Don't you care? What is it I should be doing? Why have you let this happen? What am I going to do? and on and on and on it goes.

But wait a sec. Have you not thought that perhaps the reason other things 'get in the way' or take us 'down another route' is because it's a stepping stone, a building block, a training module we must take to be at that place to be ready for what God has called us to be. We're not going to get there straight away. Instead it takes time, PATIENCE, hard work and dedication.
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long. - (Psalm 25:5)
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.- (Psalm 37:7-9)
Back to the lighter context. The next time you're in a traffic jam, or waiting for toast to pop......just consider that you waiting in a traffic jam is just time for which you can turn your music up and just chill for some moments instead of becoming engulfed by the norms of this world. Or waiting for your toast to pop is time for you to make a cup of tea, set something up on the TV, or just hug someone close to you.

Impatience fuels anger, disbelief, uncertainty but also self-hurt. Try and remember the saying;
Good things come to those who wait!  

Comments

Popular Posts