The Effect of our Words

Actions speak louder than words, or though it may seem. It could be said that this is true but today I have learnt how what we say can effect us as well as those around us.

I had a moment at work today that I'm not particularly proud of. I allowed myself to reach my 'boiling point' as it were and thus an outburst was inevitable. I am not one to swear. Not because my belief and faith goes against it, but also I don't see the need for it. Yet on rare occasions I allow myself to be effected by everything around me and thus reach the 'boiling point'! The thing is, after I had my little two  second outburst, the look on my work colleagues face was like,....'did he really just say that?' and later on after I had calmed down I was like...'oh dear me! That was not cool!'

I was reading in Matthew last night and came across some really relevant scripture;
...Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out the body? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean'. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean';..... - (Matthew 15:17-20)
These is a verse from where Jesus is explaining how his disciples are not 'unclean' in Gods eyes for eating without washing their hands first, but what makes a man unclean are the evil things he says from his heart.

I can think of many times where someone made me angry and then that anger builds and builds until I have a go at that person and really upset them through what I've just said, even though they were just trying to explain something to me! We all get this, moments where bad thoughts enter our mind. with most of us, these thoughts build and build until we have reached our boiling point and blow over.

The real test is this! The next time you have some bad thoughts enter your mind, or someone's saying something that angers you; take a step back, breathe, and let it blow over. Instead of blowing up and effecting those around you and maybe even upsetting them, try and be aware of how you're feeling and try and control it! It's not easy and it's a challenge to me, one which I shall try out these weeks ahead!

Perhaps if we don't let our thoughts and feelings get the better of us, the words we say would be less that of anger, foul language and hurtful sayings, but more that of encouragement, understanding and good will. Like I said it's tough and a challenge to me! One which I need to understand more fully these next few weeks.....

Comments

Popular Posts