Being The Light In Dark Places

I remember when I was younger that I did loads of really bad things. I swore a lot, made fun of other people, even stole the odd chocolate bar from the local sweet shop because I felt that was a way of fitting in. But I had a really good mate. A friend that I'm still so close to now and will forever be thankful to. He was my light in my dark place.

There came a moment when he invited me to the youth group that was at his church. Ever since that first moment I walked into that building, light has been filling my dark places to now where it's reached a point that I'm overflowing. I have reached that place where I want to be a light in the dark place of someone else.

No-one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body is also full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you. - (Luke 11:33-36)
I find it amazing that when someone is in need of aid, whether it's help with putting shopping in someones car to giving money to someone on the street, so many people walk past without a second glance. I've had it at work when someone buys a really heavy item but cannot manage it to their car. No-one offers to help. Then there are the other more serious situations when someone (could be someone you know) is in a tough situation, whether it's a relationship problem to actually them doing bad things like stealing. They are crying out for some light. Without realising it I was calling out for light and my best mate showed me a way through it.

Here's a challenge; perhaps the next time you're walking down the street and you see someone struggling to carry something, why don't you offer to help. When you see someone that is homeless, why don't you go over and chat with them or by them some food. There are so many people that are hiding in dark places and need someone with their light shining bright to lift them out of the darkness. Why not put your lamp on it's stand and bathe others in your light once in a while! It could be the very light that someone is longing for.....

Comments

Popular Posts